Tuesday 2 October 2012

HOGWARTS AND ALL

It is possible to enter Alnwick Castle, but we thought it would look more attractive from afar.  It did.  But it was a miserable old day to go tramping across the fields to get our view.  And we nearly came a cropper when we found a field run-off had turned into a small river.  Anyway, we first went into Alnwick Castle gardens.  Not much to see at this time of year, but they have a nice tree house.

 
Don't let my grandchildren see that!
And there is the castle eventually from the middle of the fields.








You probably now recognise it as the place that Harry Potter learned quiddich.  There are statues on all the corners of the battlements.
 











Here's the castle from the bridge over the stream.

And this is the stream!


You may have read that the road south from Alnwick was blocked by floods while we were there.  We were in effect trapped.  Although I can't think of a nicer place to be trapped.  Except perhaps the Maldive Islands.  Anyway, you can see how much rain has been falling round there.  That is the back road to the castle on the right of the pic.  I think the gate is open!

6 comments:

  1. Another imposing building!!! And the castle is quite impressive, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'd prefer to live in the wooden one.

      Delete
  2. The series of post you have just completed made me nostalgic for home. Before I moved to London, my Dad used to take me to places like Alnwick quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it was nice nostalgia, Fabi. Good to see you're still around and not tied up with the ironing, hoovering, etc. But then you're not blogging . . .

      Delete
  3. Oh - it looks a tad wet there Neil, but it once again it did not stop you taking some interesting photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really the only wet day we had, Lois. Of course it was the day we decoded to go tramping across the fields . . .

      Lois, I've been trying to invite you as a friend, but can't see how to do it. If you can, and would like to link up, please let me know what to do.

      Delete