Thursday 27 June 2013

THEMED THURSDAY



I thought it might be interesting to offer from time to time a selection of matched tunes.

Today’s theme is London railway stations.  Since Ian posted both Abba’s Waterloo and The Kinks’ song Victoria the other Friday, I offer you this instead – Waterloo Station by Jane Birkin.  It’s a thoughtful song about coming back to UK on the Eurostar after an absence in France.  Of course these days it would have to be St Pancras . . .

Waterloo station by Jane Birkin on Grooveshark

And Victoria?  Oh, OK, I give you The Fall version:



Then here are the Pet Shop Boys with Kings Cross,:



Euston Station has to be from Barbara Ruskin, one of the few 60s female song-writers.



Of course, when London was known as Swingin’ London, everybody was recording songs about the city.  Here’s Bread with London Bridge:



 Liverpool Street is the name of a round (there is also one about London Bridge).  Here’s one version of the former (by I don’t know who).



And, finally, this is Vauxhall to Lambeth Bridge by Brian Auger, Shirley Driscoll and Trinity

Vauxhall To Lambeth Bridge by Brian Auger and The Trinity and Julie Driscoll on Grooveshark

Maybe you know some others?


3 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with some of these. I'm a bit short on time at the moment, so will drop by again Saturday morning when I can take the time to listen to them properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming back rather later than expected, but I've had a listen to all of them. I already knew The Kinks version of Victoria, didn't like The Fall's version as much. I was also familar with Bread's song, being a long-time fan of that group. The others were all songs I hadn't heard before, but I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mitch. Yes, have never really made my mind up about The Fall - big Indie reputation, and very prolific, but no stand-out tune for me.

    ReplyDelete