Monday 15 October 2012

TYING UP LOOSE ENDS

I had my final visit to the hospital today.  All I could get out of the consultant was, 'wow, you look well'.  I thought he might actually examine me or ask highly personal questions, as he usually does.  But, no, that seems to be that.  So I must be expected to survive then.

I also went to see the dietitian.  She seemed happy with my diet and added 'wow, you look well'.  I guess I look well.  She also, rather surreally, gave me a B&Q paint chart and asked which colour most matched that of my stool.  As I have said, there is not much left of your personal life that hasn't been picked over and I gave up on dignity a long time ago, but I thought the colour chart unnecessarily coy, if rather amusing.  Splendid Sienna BTW.  Or was it Brilliant Barbaresco?

Anyway, enthused, and energised by NHS cappuccino, I came home and chiseled out some drainage holes in a retaining wall, cleared out the drain in the patio and brushed up all the moss from the pointing, cleared the leaves from the side entrance, trimmed a bit of hedge I'd missed last month, composted the flower bed, touched up some painting on the stairs, fitted doorstops to two new doors, repaired a wall where one of them had been knocking and repaired the front doorstep where someone had tripped and pulled off the moulding.

I think I'll go to bed now. 

Not sure why I'm doing all this, but I start Spanish lessons tomorrow.  Actually, I made it a New Year resolution to learn Spanish this year because I thought I was going walking in South America.  Clearly I had to cancel all that.  But, ever hopeful, I thought I might still continue with the lessons.  I have been reading the text book 'Spanish In 15 Minutes' for the last 6 months.  I think I can safely say it doesn't work.

One last thing (I really am going now) - surely today's Google doodle is the best they've done?

10 comments:

  1. NHS Cappuccino? Is that off the B&Q colour chart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. The horrible truth is it probably was on there.

      Delete
  2. I guess the consultant was wearing his special NHS glasses with the built-in MRI scanner.

    Did they drop any drugs in your NHS cappuccino? My only experience of said beverage left me feeling anything but enthused and energised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have colour charts? We have to show the real thing, and I have also sent it by post even to the laboratory. After a three day stay and op in a British hospital a few years ago when I broke my arm on Tower Bridge in London (if your are going to do it, do it properly I say) I have a definite allergy with anything concerned with the three letters NHS. We might have to pay in Switzerland, but I gladly pay. But that is a long story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many friends who complain about certain hospitals, but my experience (at other centres) has been nothing but good (including the coffee!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Neil. I have been very impressed with the NHS ... mind you I drink Costa coffee usually in hospital if I can.

      Delete
  5. It surprises me that they often just take a look at you and ask how you're feeling. Whatever happened to listening to your chest with a stethoscope ? In fact I don't recall seeing many stethoscopes when I was in hospital recently. When I was a lad no right-thinking doctor would be seen without a stethoscope around his neck. I suppose they rely on those whatchamacallits they wheel around every few hours and plug you into.

    As regards dignity I gave up on that [without a fight] a year or two ago. Now they can pretty much stick what they want where they want ... or even just take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit surprised that he just looked at me and didn't examine anything. I was quite ready to reveal parts of my body and have things stuck wherever. In fact today I worried that I should have had a piece of paper, so I rang in and asked for a sign-off letter.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are so perky. Looking forward to next Friday.

    ReplyDelete