Thursday 11 July 2013

MOOR BEER

Some of you may remember that, when I am down this way on a Monday evening , I run with the Hash House Harriers.  As this was my first run since my convalescence ie more than a year, I was keen to see how I'd get on.  I've mentioned the Hash before.  Suffice it to say that they describe themselves as a drinking club with a running problem.  I suppose it's as much a social club as anything.  But the key objective is to work up a thirst.

Here we are preparing to set off from Bridford village on the edge of Dartmoor.


We were soon into glorious open countryside.


But you can't go very far in this part of the world without hitting hills going up which I found rather harder to negotiate than the hills going down (which were rather few and far between).  And I soon found that the glorious countryside was eerily peopleless.  This is the Kennick Reservoir which I seemed to be enjoying alone


But down by the nearby Tottiford Reservoir, I spotted another Hasher.  Aha!



Fortunately, for a man like me, much experienced in the ways of the countryside and the art of tracking, it is not too difficult to follow the spoor of a pack of hashers . . .


 though the track was not conducive to fast running.


Especially as the light was now fading.


 But wait, was that not another Hasher across the field . . .


 And, sure enough, although it had been a somewhat longer run than I expected, we were all soon back at the Bridford Inn, just before nightfall, and, as it was Dartmoor, with pints of Jail Ale in our hands.  On, on!


1 comment:

  1. I can think of far easier ways to work up a thirst, but I have to admit it would be worth it just for the scenery!!

    ReplyDelete