Monday 2 December 2013

CHARLIE WILDGOOSE


Charlie Wildgoose 1950 - 2013


Dad, Charlie Wildgoose, passed away peacefully in hospital this afternoon, surrounded by his family. He was 63 years old.

We will all miss so many things about him, but at the moment it is hard to imagine logging on to a computer and not seeing the latest write-up of one of his walks, which were so enjoyed by his friends near and far - or pages from our ancestor, John Bayliff Bowman's 1870 Farm Journal, the most recent of which featured John describing the death of his own father all those many years ago. It's a beautiful entry and Dad was hugely excited about getting to it in his regular updates - going so far as to show me the actual journals themselves just last week - the first time I'd actually seen the original volumes. Dad loved to write, and was delighted that his blog and his photos were enjoyed, and that they brought Derbyshire and the countryside he loved so much to a wider audience. Dad could see something special everywhere he looked in the land around here, it was a truly remarkable thing.

Although Dad had been ill for a few years with advanced prostate cancer; his courage in dealing with his illness, his good humour, and his genuine ability to live each day to the fullest, made it easy to forget he was ill at all. It is a great comfort to think back on these times and remember Dad as he always was: a man who loved his friends, his family and the countryside - and who was in turn greatly loved back.

He was my father and my oldest friend. I miss him.

Jamie 






7 comments:

  1. RIP, Charlie. You were one of life's true gentlemen. You will be missed by everyone who knew you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely tribute from Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he will rest in peace .

    ReplyDelete
  4. An inspirational guy. I hope we all deal with illness and death with the same dignity that he did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fitting tribute. I'm so sad to hear the news but so pleased to have been able to enjoy your dad's blogs and lovely pics on twitter. He came over as a true gentleman. I will miss him. June @weegiewalker

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in tears. I will miss his kindnesses and gentle Quaker-like ways. Thank you Jamie for taking the time to share this painful news with us. You are a solid trooper too. Charles Wildgoose's life was a prayer in itself as he walked life's byways. We were blessed with his presence and what felt like a genuine interest in our lives. I feel like I was a close friend although I never met him. I model many of my own blogs on his style of writing. He was a great teacher. Please hold his precious Natasha gently in your arms during her duress. My heart felt sympathy and prayers go out to all of you. DAMN IT BUT THAT MAN WILL TRULY BE MISSED.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely tribute Jamie, R.I.P Charlie....

    ReplyDelete